It’s Kingsley doing the magic in the kitchen again 🙂 Here is a quick and spicy veggie rice. The spice actually helped unclog Beula’s blocked nose too 🙂 A definite recipe husbands can surprise their wives with over the weekend when they have nothing to do 🙂 Always great to relieve the wife in the kitchen eh?…
- Veggies – 1 packet frozen veggies: Beans, Carrots, Potatoes
- Onion – 1 large diced
- Tomato – 2 medium chopped
- Green Chillies – 4 (depending on taste)
- Garlic and Ginger paste – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds
- Fennel Seeds
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cinnamon Stick – 1 broken
- Cardamom – 6
- Cashews – a few
- Garam Masala – 1 tbsp
- Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander Powder- 1.5 tsp
- Salt to Taste
- Ghee (Clarified butter) – 1 tbsp
- 2 cups of rice – washed and soaked in water
In a deep pot, heat some oil and add the mustard seeds. When it starts popping add the fennel seeds, 1 bay leaf, cinnamon stick and the cashews. Saute for a couple of minutes and add the green chillies and onions. A few minutes later add the tomatoes.
Next the masala powders go in. Add some water and let it cook. When it comes to a boil, add the frozen veggies and some salt to taste.
Coat the base of a pressure cooker with some ghee. Transfer the contents of the pot to the cooker, add the two cups of rice, 4 cups of water, some salt. Give this a good stir, close the lid and let it cook for 2 whistles.
Let it rest until the pressure goes off. Serve hot!