A dessert made from a crumbed scoop of ice cream that is deep-fried in hot oil. The result is a warm, crispy shell but when broken into, it has some cold ice-cream… SO GOOD! This is such a fun dessert to make and will finish up any meal really well. I made these for our guests and every single one of them wanted more! Drizzle some chocolate sauce and some whipped cream and you will have a dessert that people will be raving about for a while.
A dessert made from a crumbed scoop of ice cream that is deep-fried in hot oil. The result is a warm, crispy shell but when broken into, it has some cold ice-cream... SO GOOD! This is such a fun dessert to make and will finish up any meal really well. I made these for our guests and every single one
- Crush the cookies and corn flakes into a powdery crumb mixture
- Place scoops of ice cream on a tray and freeze for about an hour. I did it probably for a little more than an hour. The ice cream needs to be firm.
- Make your crumb mixture by combining the crushed corn flakes, cookie crumbs along with the sugar and cinnamon and set aside. You can easily crush the cornflakes with your hands. For the cookies, put it a food processor or stick it in a bag and crush it with a rolling pin.
- Beat the eggs in a another bowl.
- Once the hour had passed, pull out the ice cream scoops, form them into balls and one at a time first coat the ice cream in the crumb mixture then the eggs and then finally back with some more crumb mixture.
- You need to work fast, but make sure you have completely covered each scoop of icecream well with the crumb mixture.
- Place the crumb coated balls of ice cream in the freezer and freeze for 2 hours or until they are completely firm ( I had them in the freezer overnight).
- When you are ready for dessert time, heat the oil. It has got to be real hot, I dropped a piece of bread to test the heat 🙂 If the oil doesn’t do anything to the piece of bread, its not hot enough yet!
- While the oil is ready, drop the ice cream ball in the hot oil and fry for about 25-30secs max. Take it out of the oil, lay it on a kitchen towel for less than 10 seconds. Do not lay the platter of the ice-cream balls on the counter while you are frying – I took each straight from the freezer and fried it.
- Transfer it to a serving bowl, serve along with some whipped cream and chocolate syrup