YAY! its June. I have a busy month ahead with work and life commitments, events to go to and my head is sort of spinning thinking about it hahha … It’s also officially winter here in New Zealand…. We just had a nice 3 day long weekend here in New Zealand to celebrate the Queen’s birthday and I made this delicious Chicken curry for my family of three this past weekend and couldn’t wait to share it with you today!
This is a mildly spiced curry and cooked with almond cashews. It’s not spicy, so its perfect for kids. My 3 year old ate it all up :). You can serve this with freshly made steamed rice or a pulao or a coconut rice type dish.
YAY! its June. I have a busy month ahead with work and life commitments, events to go to and my head is sort of spinning thinking about it hahha ... It's also officially winter here in New Zealand.... We just had a nice 3 day long weekend here in New Zealand to celebrate the Queen's birthday and I m
- Place the washed chicken pieces in a bowl and add the marinade ingredients. Let this marinate for 15-30mins. I went with chicken thighs, you can use drumsticks, breast or thighs or a combo.
- I then soaked the almonds and cashews in water. Peel the skin off the almonds and then grind the nuts along with the coconut to a smooth paste.
- In a deep pot, add some oil and once hot add the bay leaf, cumin seeds, fennel seeds. Give it 30 seconds and then add the onion, ginger and garlic pastes. Saute until the onions start to soften.
- Add the chile powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and mix well and let it cook for another couple of minutes.
- Next add the marinated chicken and mix well to combine. Cover with a lid and let it cook on low heat. I did not add any water as the chicken releases water as it cooks. After 10 minutes, add the tomatoes and allow it to cook until the tomatoes get all mushy.
- The nut paste goes in next. Mix it with the chicken pieces and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Next add the curd, about a cup of water, and also season with salt.
- I let this cook until the gravy got nice and thick.
- Final step is to add the kasoori methi and garam masala. Give it all a good mix. Let this stay on the heat for 2 more mins.
- Transfer to a serving bowl, serve it with some roti or rice.