Couple of weeks ago, the Mr. asked if I could make a chicken curry. I decided to use the opportunity and not just make the same old typical chicken curry. I have been wanting to try the Kohlapuri style for a while so was totally excited about making this curry and as you can see, I took a few photos haha…
I must say it’s a bit on the spicy side, so its not superbly child friendly, but my four year old could manage just eating the chicken with some rice that had a very little curry drizzled over it. This curry is made with quite a few spices as you will see below but I have divided it up in sections, so hopefully it is easy to understand and easy to make too.
I enjoyed the process of making the masala base cause I had to roast and grind and it really brought out the flavours in this curry. The curry was extremely flavourful. Make sure you serve this with freshly made rice. If it is too spicy, make a raita to go with it and that should cool things down a bit.
- We begin by marinating the chicken. I let the chicken drumsticks sit in the marinade for a few hours. You really want all the flavours to go inside the meat so plan out for atleast 2 hours to marinate
- Next we make the masala base, so all the ingredients mentioned under the ‘ground masala’ section goes in this step. Heat the oil in pot.
- Add all the spices: fennel, cumin, star anise, black peppercorns, cinnamon stick, cardamoms, cloves, sesame seeds, garlic cloves, grated coconut and roast for a few minutes. Next add the onions and season the pot with salt.
- Saute until the onions have softened. Then transfer to a blender (careful it will be hot!) along with the tomatoes and puree it to a paste.
- Finally to put it all together, heat some oil in the same pot and add the curry leaves.
- Pour the pureed tomato paste into the pot and let it cook for 5 mins over medium heat.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pot and toss well. Add a cup worth of water, season with more salt if needed and let it cook on medium low heat. I put the lid on the pot and walked away for 15mins or so and then checked it until the chicken was cooked through.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves