Presenting to you our family favorite! If we go to an Indian restaurant, we are sure to order chicken lollipop as an appetizer. This is an indo-chinese style dish. An amazing appetizer that is sure to impress your guests. The only job is to make the chicken lollipops out of chicken wings… to put it in a simple basic statement, you literally need to push the meat off from one side of the bone to the next and you then get the meat in a nice lollipop shape that you marinate in a thick batter that helps to hold the shape together when you fry.
This dish usually has a lot of food coloring like a lot of the Indian dishes served in an indian restaurant. Its something about that red color that stands out haha. I chose not to use red food color and hoped for the best – the end result was that the schezwan sauce gave it that red glossy color from the chili paste and the tomato sauce!
The dish is a bit on the spicy side, so serve it with some lemon wedges if needed. A nice squeeze of fresh lemon juice should help bring down the spice
- Begin by prepping the chicken lollipops. It might look complicated and intimidating but really what you are trying to do is push all the meat off the chicken wing bone to one side. I should have taken pics to show the process but I had a 4 year old wanting to get involved in what I was doing, thus I raced through the process. There are youtube videos that show you how to prepare the chicken lollipops if you find it hard to do.
- Next mix all the ingredients in the marination list. I have listed red food coloring as optional because I did not use it. However if you think you would like a darker, richer red color go for it. I found the schezwan sauce and the red chili powder brought the color out for me.
- After the marination ingredients are mixed in a bowl, add the chicken lollipops and mix well to coat each piece well. Marinate in the fridge for atleast a couple of hours.
- Next make the schezwan sauce! Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add in the ginger and garlic. Saute on medium heat and you will see how the raw smell of the garlic becomes really fragrant. When you get to that stage, add the red chilli paste.
- To make the red chili paste, I took about 7-9 dried red chilies and soaked it in water and then ground it to a paste. You can expect this to be pretty hot, so use the right number of chilies as per your taste.
- Saute the chili paste, ginger & garlic mix for a couple of minutes.
- Season with salt and next add in the tomato sauce (ketchup), chilly sauce (store bought and its different from the paste) and the soy sauce.
I added a few tbsp of water to loosen up the sauce. Keep mixing away and you will soon see it gets the look of a nice bright red sauce. Finally add the sugar and the vinegar. These two ingredients really balance the taste out.
- When you are ready to fry the chicken and get this dish together, fry the marinated chicken lollipops in small batches on medium low heat.
- You need to make sure the outside doesn’t crisp up real fast and remains raw in the inside, so go for medium low heat and let it slowly cook through from the inside out.
- You will have delicious crispy lollipops as the result. Drain on kitchen towels.
- Finally to bring the dish together. Mix the fried chicken lollipops in the spicy and tangy schezwan sauce. Just to make it look pretty I wrapped little foil pieces on the end like they do at a restaurant.
- Transfer to a serving platter, garnish with coriander leaves and serve immediately.