Got to be honest with you …. I don’t find dal very exciting (sorry if you love it!) …. I think one of the best versions of dal fry I ate was in a friends place in Chicago 3.5 years ago… even my 15mos old daughter thought it was fab back then. While menu planning not so long ago I decided to make this and was hoping it would go down well for dinner and it did!
I think I will definitely be making this dal recipe over and over again. I did some research on north indian style dal recipes and the following came about from that. I have never cooked dal with ghee (clarified butter) before … so it was quite different haha but I loved the flavour … even my non-cook husband could pick on the ghee flavour in the dal. He thought the dal was just delicious!
Read on to make this delicious and real easy dal (lentil) recipe.
- Wash the dal and pressure cook it with 2 cups of water and 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder. I let it go for many whistles because I wanted the dal to be mashable. Once it was done, I mashed it really well till it was almost a smooth and thick consistency and set it aside.
- Heat the ghee and add the green chili and also the ginger and garlic pastes. If you are wondering why ghee, trust me it adds flavour and makes this dish really yum!
- Next the onions go in and continue to saute till the onions go translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and also the masala powder: coriander, cumin and chili. Also add some salt.
- Once the tomatoes were all mushy, add the garam masala and the dal and I also added about 1/2 cup of water. Mix it well. Reduce the heat to medium low.
- Final step is to squeeze half a lemon and that brought it all together.
- Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves. Serve with rice or rotis.