Butter chicken is my 4 year old’s absolute favourite. Actually I find a lot of folks here in New Zealand who LOVE butter chicken. It’s amazing walking to a food court at the mall or an Indian restaurant and most folks order butter chicken. It’s a great curry but the problem I have with them is that its a) loaded with sugar, making it super sweet b) it has food coloring.
If we ever go to a food court in the mall or an Indian restaurant, my little miss ALWAYS orders butter chicken, and I am stuck with trying to finish up her leftovers. I don’t make it as often as she would like at home, but if I have a super crazy week, I grab a packet of BC sauce and a tray of chicken from the supermarket and quickly put it together for her.
This past weekend I decided to make it in a slow cooker and see how it will turn out. The recipe as you will see below has no sugar or food coloring. I have included honey as optional just in case there is a spice kick from the chili powder. The smell in the kitchen as the BC cooked away in the slow cooker was heavenly. Of course the true judge was my four year old … Got to be honest, I was a bit nervous LOL … I placed the curry with some rice in front of her, and her eyes got all big with excitement. She grabbed a spoon full of rice and curry and ate it while I stood there waiting for the result … haha … and out came the words Ka Pai mama … Ka Pai is māori (NZ native language) and it means Good job!
I am pretty sure this winter season here in New Zealand, I am going to be making butter chicken often in the slow cooker. It was honestly so good, and I was so pleased I knew what went in this dish!
- We begin by making the marinade / sauce base that the chicken pieces will cook in. In a blender add the ginger paste, garlic paste, can of tomatoes, tomato paste, garam masala, chili powder, cumin powder, almonds and yogurt, and give it a good blitz.
- Once everything is well combined, pour it over the diced chicken pieces. Mix well so the marinade coats the chicken pieces really well. Set this aside to marinate for 15mins or so.
- Saute the diced onions in the melted butter, once it has softened up, add to the slow cooker.
- Next pour the chicken pieces along with the marinade in the slow cooker. Add the 1tbsp of honey (this is optional) and season with salt.
- Let this cook away in the slow cooker. Mine took somewhere between 3-4 hours.
- When its cooked through and you are ready to serve, add the heavy cream and mix it all together.
- Serve with some plain white rice or a pulao and/or naan bread.