Here is a real cool weekend cooking project! We stayed off introducing store-bought nuggets to my daughter till she was 3.5 … I think we were shifting house over a year ago and I needed a quick work-free dinner the night before we moved so we went through the drive-through and got her some nuggets and chips, and she got a kids toy! I will never forget her excitement!
The truth though is chicken nuggets eaten at restaurants and supermarket bought frozen have a lot of nasties in them. First of all what is the meat part made up of ? There are lots of opinions out there that I don’t want to get into this post …. let’s just keep it recipe related … I know it’s a quick and easy meal but trust me those chicken nuggets are just not good for your kids or for yourself!… I work full time (40hours), run a couple of business besides working at my day job, and one of the main things I spend my free time on is to plan and prepare good healthy junk-free meals and snacks for my kid! I am always conscious to not feed her whatever on the go, or get something from the drive through because I am too busy! If she ever gets whatever for a meal it means I probably have had a super super mad crazy day/week …
I have been on the mission of making freezer-friendly snacks and food ready to go in my freezer for my crazy week nights… As you will read below, the recipe is really easy. I got around 27 nuggets (could have resized a few of the big ones and got 30, but didn’t bother!). I baked a few and was left with a nice big stash in the freezer for upcoming weeks or play dates. And if you are wondering why baked and not FRIED, well I decided to make this as healthy as I could haha … the taste didn’t change and my daughter was really impressed … the husband did a taste-test and thought it was pretty much the real deal ….
- I first began by mincing the chicken breasts in a food processor. I know you can buy store bought chicken mince, but I wanted to make my own as I will know it will only have chicken and not anything else in it!
- Once you have chicken mince, add the garlic powder, salt and ground pepper.
- I powdered the cornflakes in my spice grinder to a coarse powder. Grate the parmesan (I like mine freshly grated but store bought grated parmesan is ok too). Mix the ground cornflakes and grated parmesan cheese together in a bowl.
- With wet hands, roll and flatten out the chicken mixture into nugget patties.
- Then roll the nuggets into the cheese-cornflake mix.
- When I made these, I lined them up on a baking sheet and stuck it in the freezer for a couple of hours. Once they hardened up, I transferred them all into a ziploc bag and put it back in the freezer.
- When you are ready to bake these little treats, preheat the oven to 200C.
- Bake them until cooked through. The outer crumb part will get a nice cooked through color / look to it. It took me about 15mins. The nuggets puffed up a bit too for me when they were cooked through. Do keep an eye on the nuggets as you don’t want it to over cook cause the chicken meat will dry up when you cook it too much.
- Transfer to a serving platter, squeeze some tomato sauce next to it and serve immediately.