Rice is such an integral part of so many meals served in people’s homes these days. There are so many DELICIOUS ways to cook rice, so if you have been cooking it in just water, then hello! you need to stop and try this recipe out! The inspiration behind this recipe is so simple, you might actually laugh … haha … I had half a red onion and almost a whole can of coconut milk that had to be put to use. I was making rice for a meal while these two things were on the table, so a quick chop of the red onion (I love the color it adds to dishes) and I grabbed a bag of frozen peas, washed some basmati rice and quickly made a beautiful tasting, looking, and smelling rice dish.
On to the recipe!
- Wash the rice and set aside.
- In a pot, melt the ghee. Add the diced onion along with the ginger and garlic pastes. If you wish you can also add things like bay leaf or a cinnamon stick but I left those out to keep this dish really simple.
- Once the onions have softened, add the frozen peas and saute for another 5mins.
- Next the rice goes in along with 6 cups coconut milk and 2 cups water. Alternatively you can also use only coconut milk, if you are choosing to do that make this 8 cups coconut milk. The ratio for cooking rice is 1(cup rice): 2(cups water).
- Season with salt, cover with a lid and cook on medium low heat.
- Once it is cooked through, transfer to a serving platter.