At the Wellington Food Show last month, we came across a stall called Fruit Direct. We stopped to try their delicious apple juice … it was so good that my little miss 4 year old drank a couple of times and they were kind enough to offer her top ups. We got their details down and bought their Freshly Pressed Apple Juice. Along with the juice came about 20 delicious crisp apples …. I was thinking of recipes I could use these apples in … I have a delicious Apple cake recipe and then I thought of Apple Fritters, I have made Banana Fritters and they have always been a hit at home so I decided to make some apple fritters … and boy! oh boy! the husband and the little Miss fought over these delicious little treats and they were gone within minutes … Yes I know deep frying does not make these healthy, but hey! once in a while its alright …
If you live in New Zealand, I highly recommend checking out Fruit Direct – honestly their juice is just the best! (they did not ask me to say that haha) …
- Heat some oil in a large/deep frying pot
- In a bowl whisk together the buttermilk and sugar. In another bowl mix the flour, salt and cinnamon.
- Next peel and core the apples. I had them about 1/4 inch thick.
- Dip each apple slice in the buttermilk, then the flour mixture and then return it to the buttermilk and give it a final dredge in the flour.
- Deep fry until they are golden brown. Drain on kitchen towels.
- Dust them off with some powdered sugar (I added cinnamon to the sugar) and serve.