Phyllo pastry is one of those things I often buy from the supermarket. They are great for quick and easy meals like the Salmon Phyllo Pie or Chicken Mushroom & Spinach Pie … They are also delicious for sweet treats like Baklava. Everytime I have mince on the menu, I end up making some Spag Bolognese and then decided couple of weekends ago to make a Mince Phyllo pie and it was the best decision ever! It was gobbled up real fast and I should say it was real easy to make. For the parents reading, it went down like a treat for my 4 year old.
And oh before I forget … you need to butter the phyllo for it to turn out real well!
- Preheat the oven to 200c
- Saute the onions in some oil. Once softened add the garlic powder and mince.
- As the mince browns up and cooks, add the all spice powder, along with some salt and pepper. Once cooked, drain the fat and transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- I used 12 sheets of phyllo. Butter your baking dish and lay four sheets of phyllo buttering between each layer.
- Add the mince filling, and then another 4 sheets of phyllo, again buttering between each sheet.
- Add the mince mixture and top it off with the sheets of phyllo buttering each sheet.
- Brush the top layer with a beaten egg, and cut the phyllo into squares and place in the oven. You need to do this before its cooked.
- Bake till it is golden brown and it will be crispy to touch.
- Serve immediately with some tomato sauce or tzatziki